Hey Dudes. Erin Go Bragh!
Legend has it that ol' St. Patty boy drove the snakes out of Ireland with his magic pipe. Thus!, folks all over this nation and the next choose to celebrate this ancient happening by taking back a few (or more) pints, wherever they can find one. But you know, to me, this does not sound like something to get inebriated about. Big whoop! I'd drive everyone off my block if they heard me playing the pipe, too. That's why I failed Recorder in 3rd grade.
So, instead of celebrating this holiday, I celebrated Monday's holiday: the Ides of March! In ancient Roman history, the Ides of March is best known as the date that Julius Caesar was murdered by the Roman Senate. Now, that is one WICKED reason to celebrate! And plus, for this holiday it is of the utmost appropriateness to consume our very favorite of all beverages in honor of Roman culture. Vino.
Story time!! For the past four days I've been living without any electricity. The storm last weekend totally bummed out a tree that's been chilling in front of my place for the past 20 years. The poor tree obviously couldn't do its thing any longer, and chose to land directly in front of my home, blocking crosswalks and almost hitting cars in the street. It took down one power line with it, and that power line belonged to me.
So, I came up with a list.
What to do when you don't have electricity for 4 days straight (in no particular order):
1. Perfect the art of origami
2. Learn to light a fire, Eagle Scout style, in your fireplace
3. Read a book (cliché, but when else do you have the time?)
4. Knit Grandma a sweater (you owe her an ugly one as payback for at least 6 style-less family holiday parties)
5. Meditate on how much better life is without Ryan Seacrest's voice coming through your television speakers
6. Organize old family photos by candlelight
7. Don't check your email (as if you could if you wanted, but consider it a blessing!)
8. Yoga (without the underlying hum of electricity running through your head)
How would you survive a four-day blackout?!